Thursday, November 03, 2005

Airports, homeschooling, and something from the boys

I met one of the chaps who is over from the UK re the airport, he is an environmentalist something or other and has to do an environmental impact study. Apparently getting an airport in here is a HUGE undertaking – roads have to be built that can accommodate the equipment that is needed to level the land and assist with the building etc, another ship will probably have to be hired to bring over all the building supplies etc etc – so it is much more than simply building an airstrip and terminal. I don’t think it will ever become a swarming metropolis, they are going to limit who comes with the building of the 5-star hotel – so only the rich will come unless they know people they can stay with. I think some of the charm of the island will be lost though.

The homeschooling material will be shipped from the States. We qualified for free shipping because our order was over $100, but I don’t think they know where they are shipping to! We may end up paying in when it arrives, but that’s also okay. All in the budget. Hopefully that will arrive before the end of the year so we can start next year. Nick doesn’t enjoy the garden at all, but is seeing its maintenance as a necessary evil. He has some exciting plans, but the actual implementation involves work, but he is tackling it with gusto nonetheless. I am very proud of him! I spent some time in the sun yesterday sweeping out where he had moved rubble and scaffolding and other junk, then hosed it all down. The boys thought it was great, Aaron stripped down to naked and sat in the dirty muddy water. Then I turned the sprinkler on, which they also love, and from there it was straight into the bath at 4.30! On the news the other night, by the way, one of the stories was that two juveniles were arrested for stealing a handbag from the Consulate Hotel. Do you think that would make news in SA? Ha ha ha..

A letter from Caleb to his grandparents: Granny and Grandpa, I love you 40-10 and you coming to our island and we excited, and we playing well. Granny and Grandpa, um, dad always preaches. I’m gonna do homeschool at home. I do play in the garden with cars. I play with the bakkies in the garden, and granny and grandpa, we are living on the big island that’s very big and we did move here. We went on the boat and then we flied to Cape Town and then um boxes went on the truck. Bye bye.

And one from Aaron: Granny and Granpa, I love you 59, Amen. I love you, I love you. Stop pushing buttons, stop pushing buttons, I say! Mom, stop pushing buttons, I say mom. Don’t push BUTTONS I said!!! Have a good day and I’m going to St Helena.

No comments: