Sunday, January 15, 2006

Fritters, fruit and food

Yesterday I made pumpkin fritters as we were given a small pumpkin and I had to use it, and they were most successful. The boys love them, they had three yesterday – one before supper, one with supper and one afterwards as pudding. It’s strange that they enjoy them so much! Made chicken ala king for supper, much better than my last attempt because I chopped the green peppers by hand instead of using the Braun. The last time, when I used the Braun, the peppers got too finely chopped and produced a green juice, which coloured the sauce, so I added turmeric to make it look yellowish instead of greenish, but it looked more like a nuclear-reactor waste product and tasted a bit odd too. Last night’s, however, was the real deal. Caleb shoveled it into his mouth with great haste so must have enjoyed it, and even Aaron didn’t waste much time.

We received our package from Wilson in Ascension, filled with lovely goodies – chips, coffee, hot chocolate, coconut filled chocolates, bite-sized kit-kats, peanut-butter cups, other chocolate miniatures, about 100 superwipes and eight tins of little viennas. It was fun unpacking it!

I bought two peaches from Spar, they are delicious. Fresh fruit like peaches, nectarines and plums are a real luxury item, and the price proves it. Made me think of when we used to have to pick and peel and slice peaches every year for bottling. Wasn’t so fond of them at the time, and didn’t look forward to that yearly event!

No comments: