Friday, January 13, 2006

Gardening

I am pretty tired after a busy day and late night last night, and my hands are sore from sweeping – I’m tidying up the alley between the manse and the church, which is dusty, weedy and full of dead leaves and bits of garden rubble. I’m sweeping the whole thing, but only got halfway today in the time I had.

This morning at 10h00 Emma dropped off the girls for me to babysit. It went very well, the girls behaved very nicely. Emma was back by about 11h15 and then stayed for a cuppa since I was just about to put on a Veggie Tales video for the kids. I popped out to Spar later this afternoon by myself to get a green pepper, as I had heard rumours that Spar had some. I got one indeed, and also bought a Kiwi for Nick (45p for ONE) and an imported tomato, which is so much nicer than our local ones. The tomato looked so lovely that I ate it all as soon as I got home!

The Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow in the front garden, which was almost dead due to lack of watering because we probably already thought it was dead when we got here so didn’t bother much with it, has been brought back to life by Nick’s daily watering. Apparently one of our church people planted it there himself a few months ago, and it had taken him ages to get it to grow at all and he had really gone to a lot of trouble to keep it alive, so we felt terrible that we had neglected it. With constant watering though, it started budding leaves, and today we saw the first flower on it, a deep purple. It’s exciting seeing something flourish. The weeds in the lawn are dying off after spraying with weedkiller, and the lawn is continuing to cover over the bare areas and thicken. We give it a lot of water, mostly from the bath, and Nick mows once a week. Progress!

No comments: