Thursday, February 02, 2006

Guyana

We’ve just returned from Toddler’s Group. I didn’t think I was really going to continue going this year, because frankly the boys are a bit old for it and I sometimes get the feeling that the moms with little toddlers are eyeing out these two big boys almost crashing into their little kiddies (rightly so). Anyway, bumped into Emma in town earlier and she said I really must come, and also the lady who runs it, Kathryn, said that she truly doesn’t mind the boys coming, even if I think they might be a bit old.

We had to walk up to the hospital today for Caleb’s belly button appointment, because Nick was using the car to go to St Pauls School for a guitar lesson and a chat with a teacher about drugs and a drug awareness programme. We encountered a slight drizzle while walking, but I was happy that it didn’t rain hard or that the sun wasn’t shining brightly, would have been too hot. Got there in just over 10 minutes, and only waited about 20 minutes this time to see the doctor (surgeon). I was better prepared this time though and had two library books, but the boys still spoke to everyone in the waiting area. Then we had a very brief meeting with the surgeon. She looks like a Saint, but seems to be Indian in fact, and I understood her accent less than I understand the Saints! Nonetheless, I gather that we are going to have Caleb’s hernia operated on, and by the looks of the piece of paper she gave me, it is on 23 February. We have to go up to the hospital the day before, the 22nd, to meet with the anesthetist, and then be at the hospital at 7.30 am on Thursday morning for the op, I don’t know what time they’ll actually operate though.

If you want some really good lawn fertilizer, go to Egg Island off the coast of St Helena, and collect some bird poo, which covers the rock faces. Apparently it is very high in nitrogen. If you happen to be an entrepreneur with a business license, you can sell it for £30 a bag.

No comments: