Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lynn the would-be car thief

Second day of holiday club down, three more to go. Today we had 42 kiddies, although six were new, so some didn’t come back, but might come again tomorrow or the next day. I guess it depends on the parents’ schedules too. We had a good day again, although Nick’s activities for the youngest kids (Caleb’s class) flopped a bit, and my craft for the middle group didn’t work too well, it seemed to be too difficult for them. They were supposed to make an elephant out of cardboard, but the group leaders and I had to basically make all of them. But other than that, it was great. The singing part, yesterday and today, was really good, they are learning some new songs and singing loudly and enthusiastically on songs they know. Nick used the mic and also amplified his guitar, which made a big difference, and helped in that he didn’t have to strain his voice. We’re still finding that we have too much time to kill, so tomorrow we might show a veggietale video, which will be appropriate to the theme of peace.

I nearly stole a car today. I think I have mentioned before that no-one bothers to lock their cars, the windows are all open, and security just isn’t a problem. Well, off I went to town after the HBC today to buy some more supplies (biscuits) and stuff. I came back to the car (the temporary Ford), put my shopping onto the seat through the open window, walked around to the drivers’ side, got in the car, and when I tried to start it, the key didn’t want to turn. I thought maybe the steering wheel had locked, so fiddled a bit, when suddenly it dawned on me that actually I wasn’t even in my car. How embarrassing. I picked up my parcels, got out of the wrong car, and walked further down the parking bays to get to the right one! It was really bad. I don’t know how many people saw, but there was one chap who gave me a very odd look as he was driving down the road while I was sitting in this car. Unfortunately he was driving up the road in the other direction when I was walking to the right car, and used the opportunity to give me another strange look.

No comments: