Monday, February 20, 2006

Medical care

Caleb had three or four coughing spells during the night, but I think I was up twice during the night, and again at 6 am. Today he is happy enough, but still coughing a lot and sounding quite wheezy. His nose is not streaming like Aaron’s was, but we have to blow it quite regularly. Aaron slept well in the other room and thankfully kept the bed dry – there is no waterproof on that bed! There is no medical aid or national healthcare here, it’s all just free for British citizens (St Helenians being considered British) – so for Nick, Caleb and Aaron all their doctor’s visits and medications are free. I think I might have to pay about £7 for a doctor’s consultation, and £1 for medicines. An operation for me would be a problem, despite having medical insurance – as far as I can gather, the medical insurance only covers the cost of being airlifted to Cape Town in the event of specialized medical treatment being necessary, which of course is an impossibility anyway. I really should read through my insurance policy to see what it covers.



After the boys’ sleep today, we went out to town at about 3.30 pm, because I thought that the marine awareness week was ending today and that the tourist office would be open with all kinds of interesting displays, but actually it ended yesterday and it was all closed up. So we sat on a bench outside “The Canister” and looked down the main street for a while, then went home and I made pancakes for supper. Church was good, Nick is doing a series on John, and tonight’s was on the miracle of Jesus changing water into wine. Very good sermon, particularly on the issues of Christians and drinking. The boys were good so I could concentrate. I’m starting to enjoy our times together on a Sunday night in church, where the three of us are together for all that time.

No comments: