Sunday, February 12, 2006

Pizza imPerfect

I gave both boys a haircut yesterday. Not shaved all over as usual, but just around the back and sides, leaving the tops long. Looks neat again, not a bad job. We then went to the library to get the next batch of 11 books, and I read a story to them while we were there – quite a strange one by Oscar Wilde about a selfish giant and some children, and one child who represented Jesus, and the garden of paradise…certainly an ending I wasn’t expecting. Nick and I made pizza for supper. I had recently bought a pizza pan, and I bought a mix-with-water pizza base from Thorpes. The dough mixed up really nicely, it was easy to handle. It didn’t stick to the base one little bit – slid off perfectly when the time was right. Unfortunately I wasn’t thinking too well and instead of mixing up the tomato paste with water and sugar and oreganum, I just spread it straight onto the base, so it was quite bitter and strong. The boys didn’t enjoy it all that much, and it wasn’t enough for Nick and me! We agreed that one of the first things we will do when next we are in SA, is go out for a proper pizza!!!

This morning was the Good News Club. I was scheduled to do the second half of the Jonah story, but I only did my lesson prep this morning. I felt heartily unprepared, and forgot to pray about it and for it beforehand, so I really didn’t think it went well. Despite my dramatic gestures and voices, some of the kids were more interested in their underwear or bible covers. After the GNC Nick went to visit an old couple who are members in the church, but haven’t attended since our arrival because they are both old and sick and can’t get to church, and live quite far away from anyone else. Nick said they were both deaf, so he shouted a few questions at them, shouted a few more things, and then prayed, and left. In the afternoon we went out to a fĂȘte at St Paul’s Middle School, but apart from having a hamburger with real onions for lunch, it was a bit of a waste of time. There was a marquee set up with tables and tables of emptiness, and a few plants, and some old fluffy toys, and other bits and pieces. The highlight was that the boys each got to have a donkey ride. Caleb loved it and sat up straight and relaxed, but Aaron didn’t really enjoy it much at all. Also, it was drizzling quite heavily, and not very nice to be outside on the very muddy and sodden field. We didn’t stay for very long!

It’s been raining off and on today. This sort of weather in SA would last for days – completely grey skies, drizzle, rain – but here, the sun could easily be shining again and the sky bright blue in the next ten minutes! Glad to hear about all the rain in South Africa, but it seems that it’s causing many problems…it never rains but it pours. Ha ha ha. Aaron’s sniffly nose is still sniffly, and he feels a bit hot. But otherwise he’s fine.

No comments: