Wednesday, April 26, 2006

50p for a toy?

Well, this time next week I wonder what we will be doing with my parents. I suspect they might be resting and hoping that the house stops rocking soon, or perhaps we’ll go for a bit of a walk around town in the hopes that the fresh air will blow the landlegs right. It’s a funny feeling when one disembarks, although not noticed straight away – but you get so used to the rocking of the ship, that you feel strange again when walking on land. We might also go in search of milk and go check for post. It’s always exciting to check the postbox for anything the ship might have brought, but disappointing if nothing arrives. I’m still waiting for the homeschooling stuff, but doubt it would be coming from the Cape Town direction. If anything, it would come via Ascension.

This morning the boys found 50p in their toybox, and so Caleb wanted to go to The Emporium to buy a toy for Aaron, but I said maybe they should buy chips rather as 50p wasn’t enough for a toy. Of course then they wanted to go immediately, but I wanted to do school first…in the end I compromised and we popped across the road to the corner shop and they bought Smarties (chips out of stock until 2 May). Then we did school, and Caleb read a library book to me (I had prepared flash cards of all the new words, so he had been exposed to them, and therefore did quite well with the book – very slowly and he still forgot the words I had taught him, but he’s making progress all the same). They also painted today. I needed to go to town again later, but by then it had started drizzling and I didn’t feel like going out in that with the boys. We waited a few minutes, and the sun came out and the sky cleared, so we went and stayed dry!

This afternoon, I went through the boys’ clothes, and it was fun. They both patiently tried on almost every item of winter clothing in their drawers, and some new ones from the suitcase of too-big clothes, so now they have some new clothes. It’s wonderful to see that their clothes from last season are too small for them – even little Aaron’s legs and arms have grown. Caleb grew 7 cm in the last year, according to the growth chart we are keeping.

No comments: