Friday, April 28, 2006

More frantic preparations

Today’s been quite busy so far. With only five days to go, I’m getting all the final housework done and garden sorted out. Today already I’ve cleaned the upstairs windows, dusted, trimmed a tree and a bush, replanted a banana tree, cleaned leaves out of gardens, so that now the back garden is looking as neat as possible. Also a variety of other small things, like re-tidying the bookshelves, tidying the diningroom, washing dishes…the ongoing stuff. This afternoon I have grocery shopping planned (actually I must leave in about 10 minutes – best to do it in the afternoons when the shops are quieter and I can find a parking spot, but can’t go too late because Nick has early Bible Study and I still have to cook). I must also try finish making new net curtains for all the downstairs front windows, which I started yesterday. It’s really just a case of hemming the sides, so not too much effort.

Some sad news on the island …a 7-year-old boy fell off a cliff yesterday (somewhere close to the top of Jacob’s Ladder) and died. Apparently he fell down quite a steep drop, and it took the fire and police services about three or four hours to reach his body. What a tragedy! I hope never to outlive my children.

My parents flew to Cape Town this morning and boarded the RMS St Helena…they will arrive on Tuesday 2 May at 8 am. Much excitement all round!

No comments: