Wednesday, May 03, 2006

History in the making

Big day today – the all-important fly-over of the airplane over the island. I went down to the harbour with the boys to wait and watch for it, and after over an hour of waiting, it flew over the harbour. One had to be careful not to blink. Before flying over the harbour, it had done some takes over the proposed airport site, where tyres had been set alight in old oil drums down the centre of the envisaged runway, also serving the purpose of indicating wind direction to the pilot. Very crude, but not a bad plan in light of limited airport resources on the island! The plane came down to a height of about 300 feet. Town was deserted today in light of the historical occasion, with many people off at some of the suggested viewing points. It was really exciting!

Really just trying to kill time now until my mom and dad arrive tomorrow, the time of arrival now 14h30. I drove out to Knollcombes this afternoon to pick wildflowers, which I accomplished. The boys are being very unsuccessful in their attempts to keep the house clean as per my instructions, so I guess I will be having another quick clean-up tomorrow morning!

No comments: