Monday, July 10, 2006

The Coin Story

This morning we had our first Lay Preacher morning service at Jamestown. It was surprisingly and encouragingly well-attended, 21 people including children. Vincent preached on Revelation 1. Nick nearly didn’t make it to church this morning because the golf has become incontinent. He tried to patch up the leaks in the radiator pipe without too much success, so I guess tomorrow it will be back at the garage. He took a bottle of water and refilled at Sandy Bay. The homebound journey was all downhill so he could freewheel most of the way.

This afternoon we took a walk down to the docks – it’s more interesting to do that when the ship is in. The boys took their “stoculars”, so we could all see some personnel on the ship, and the activity of offloading containers.

I ordered a “teach yourself mandolin” DVD from Amazon.com. Nick and I jammed the other night and it was such fun – he strummed some chords on the guitar and I did lead, which means I picked notes on various scales. I discovered that I’m not very good, but with practice I can get better. What I need now is direction and teaching, so we thought that some sort of tutor would be a good idea.

Aaron found a 1p coin on the floor somewhere in the house, so put it in his pyjama pocket to put in the offering bag. I forgot all about it, until I saw him playing with it in church, and cautioned him not to drop it, which is exactly what he did - it rolled down in a perfect line, from the back pew, through the middle of the announcements, to the very front of the church until it could go no further. On the bare wooden floor, this made not a small noise and I could just see everyone wanting to laugh.

No comments: