Thursday, July 06, 2006

Mice, logo competition and "how to hold a pencil"

Today has been cold(ish) and rainy and dark and gloomy. If I recall correctly, I think I might have seen evidence of the sun, but it started drizzling just before lunch and has been heavily overcast with intermittent rain since then. The temperature hasn’t gone much below 20, I think – I looked at the thermometer when I judged it to be feeling quite cool and was surprised at the result. I was feeling narfy today and didn’t have much patience. What little I started with quickly evaporated in the face of Caleb’s sudden inability to hold the pencil properly and thus produce a shoddy worksheet, where before he’s had no problem. I established that he didn’t have epilepsy or paralysis, and then proceeded to discipline him, whereafter amazingly his floppy hand seemed to work better. Caleb wanted to wash the dishes again today but we never quite got around to that.

We’ve caught three mice in three days in the pantry again. Just when I think there are surely no more, another one gets caught. I won’t describe where the trap caught the latest little chap because it’s not so nice, really. There’s a Logo Design competition on the go. It’s open to the public, and it’s for the Adult Vocational Education Services. The prize is £50 and the competition closes on the 28th July. Nick and I are going to enter a couple of designs, because we think we might have a shot at winning. I mean, how many great graphic designers can there really be on the island? Spent a long time on the computer today fiddling around in word with Word Art and text boxes and shadowing and colours, this while Aaron was pretending to sleep and Caleb wrote “speshl servs from the babtzt mans” (translated Special Services, from the Baptist Manse). I suspect he was advertising for the special services that we’ve just had. His page is filled with pictures of crosses and various logos he’s also designed.

No comments: