Monday, August 28, 2006

Sermon on Radio

The weather has been gloomy most of the day, so although we wanted to make the most of Nick’s availability and go out for a picnic or something, since we had a combined service at 14h30, we didn’t. Instead we had a lazy morning, doing the bulletin and this and that, and then we all had tea and munchies together at 10, then played cricket in the back garden. It was fun, we all participated. Caleb was batting quite well, although Aaron is generally the one with better sports abilities. At 11, I started lunch and we let them watch Lassie again. Tee hee, I put the German audio option on, and they were 23 minutes into it before Nick came into the lounge and wondered why they were watching it in German. They had just been watching the picture like pumpkins. I was hoping the language might just wash over them and they’d start speaking fluently, but after 23 minutes, it hadn’t happened. We left home at 13.40, and got to the church in plenty of time. I let the boys play outside before church started, otherwise they would have had an extra half hour of sitting still, which wouldn’t have gone down well. At Head o’Wain there is some nice grass and I could keep an eye on them from my pew. The service today was recorded for radio broadcast, and Nick preached a non-series sermon from Romans 12:1-2, about how we should respond to God’s love. Of course in Romans, where Paul says “brothers”, he is talking to those who are Christian in nature and commitment, rather than those who are Christian in name (ie not atheist or muslim or something else, or who simply attend church). He very clearly put the gospel across in his first point, so many of the islanders will hear it.

Caleb says I must never ever tell him that I love him anymore since I’ve told him a million times and he knows, so I must please stop telling him.

No comments: