Friday, February 16, 2007

Fee fi fo fum!

You wouldn’t believe what happened to the boys’ bean plants overnight…but it makes the story of Jack and the Beanstalk more believable! From having no shoots yesterday, only roots, they now have leaves which have grown up past the neck of the bottles. Even during the day we have noticed a difference – they’ve easily grown three inches during the day. We’re looking forward to seeing what tomorrow brings. Caleb wrote in his nature diary without prompting and drew a picture of the plants.
I renewed my drivers’ license today. I was severely reprimanded for driving around with an expired license. The police lady asked if I know it is a criminal offence to drive a vehicle without a valid license, which I did know, and I felt terribly guilty. I even thought she might give me a fine or put me in prison. But she just said I mustn’t let it happen again. After town we went to Plantation House, so that the boys could run around and I could read. It didn’t really happen that way though, especially about me and the reading part, because the boys kept on talking to me, and then Aaron wanted to look at one of his books with chip-crumby fingers, and then Caleb didn’t want to finish his apple so I had to hold it, and then needed a nose blow, and then Aaron was cold…so after a while I gave up and we came home. At least they got out of the house for a while.

Nick is giving Reepicheep flying lessons, which means that Nick is taking him outside and throwing him in the air and then catching him again. Reepi doesn’t mind though, he flaps his wings madly while he’s in the air although it does him no good. Good exercise though. Last night while we were watching the DVD, we saw our pet mouse running in the lounge. Caleb had earlier put a biscuit in a plastic container, in the hopes of luring him into a trap. Well, the mouse found the biscuit, and started eating it, taking a little nibble and then dashing back behind the wall units. Then he tried to drag it back with him, which he couldn’t do because he couldn’t pull it over the extension cord. He tried so hard, pulling and pushing, even flipping himself right over the biscuit trying, that I felt sorry for him and moved the biscuit when he had run for cover. At the end of the evening we observed that he had eaten half the chocolate covering off the biscuit, leaving the innard untouched! Definitely a sweet tooth.

No comments: