Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Get the paper, got the paper?


This morning I was very upset to see a strange brown blob sitting on my desk when I came in for my QT, and it took me a few moments to realize that it was two pieces of chocolate which I had left there the night before, which had been diligently nibbled all around the edges. The mouse ate my chocolate! That’s it, the trap has been set now in the pantry.

After lunch I went shopping alone, just to see what’s in the shops at the moment. I came away with a pack of marbled papers, in five different colours, quite reasonably priced, at the corner shop. We don’t often find anything useful in the crafty line in the shops here. At about 2.30 Elza called on with some ferns she had uprooted for me from the Sandy Bay Clinic, which she thought would still look good in the bottles. Of course I had to show her the new paper, so she buzzed off there as soon as she left here. The boys and I quickly went to visit the old people, and Caroline was so pleased to see us again. I felt bad that it’s been so long since we had been (before Christmas), but I’ve just been avoiding going. She said she knew I hadn’t forsaken her. We didn’t stay long, getting back in time for afternoon tea, and then I got stuck into doing something with the plants. It’s awkward to get into the hanging bottles now, as I have to undo some wire holding them up…so I didn’t put the ferns in, but rather planted them all into a container. Then I potted the melon seedlings which are progressing well, and also planted some more bulbs in the front garden, those aloe-type plants which Nick hates. The weeds on the house side garden are really flourishing, but I’d rather have healthy green weeds growing than nothing at all. They’re a nice succulent type of weed with a thick green leaf and purplish stem, which spread out as a ground cover. The portulacas on that side are also quite abundant now. Some time during the afternoon Lorna phoned, and we both had a good laugh about the fact that she was phoning to let me know about some nice marbled papers in the corner shop…I told her I already had them and had told Elza, and would have e-mailed her tonight! At least we all know we’re looking out for each other.

No comments: