Monday, March 05, 2007

Good ol' cricket

This afternoon, to relieve the boredom of the day, we took a drive. At first we were without heading or direction, but then Nick remembered that there had been a cricket match on the go at Prince Andrew’s School, so we pulled in and had our picnic there. It was so windy that the Cremora almost blew off the spoon before I could get it into our flask mugs. We watched a bit of the cricket from a distance, but it’s difficult to follow without commentary! Walked around the school a bit because I haven’t seen it before (Nick teaches guitar there, so he’s well acquainted with the school grounds), and I must say that I’m quite impressed. The school buildings are old and a bit on the run-down side, but it’s big and the lawns are well kept. There are many trees about, and overall it seems to be a nice learning environment (picture of boys taken at the school grounds).

I wanted to look for some plants for a hanging bottled-garden I’m going to make for the kitchen, so with Nick’s encouragement I climbed up the precarious route up the back wall and onto the mountainside. I think my days of rockclimbing helped a bit with this adventure, but I was nervous to be up there, I must confess. I had visions of spending the night on the mountain, being too scared to come down! I didn’t find any suitable plants except for one more geranium, which I planted into the front garden as soon as I was successfully off the mountain.

At supper we were discussing the fact that I was so scared about getting up and down the mountain, and Nick tapped his head, and said “it’s all in there”. “No”, I countered, “it’s in my muscles”, pointing to my arm. Caleb’s pearl? “But this” (points to head) “controls this” (points to arm).

This morning Nick brought me tea in bed – what did I do to deserve such a wonderful man. He gets up early on Sunday mornings to go over his sermon prep, while I have the luxury of lounging about until 7 am. Then the boys came into the room too, to be with us for a while. We got onto the subject of God, and that He doesn’t actually have a smile, or hands, or some physical feature which Aaron was querying. So Nick said, “God doesn’t have a body”. Aaron’s face screwed up in amazement and perplexity as he said, “only a head???”

No comments: