Wednesday, April 25, 2007

All painted out and lunch at Donny's


Yesterday I spent the whole day painting. It took a bit of time to get the room prepared, with moving furniture, masking taping the ceiling and skirtings and poly-filling, but I started painting eventually at about 10.30, this after two trips to town, once for a new roller, and once for another tin of paint, otherwise I would have run out. I got quite a lot done before lunch, then changed quickly and scrubbed my face and arms and went to Lorna. This was Liz’s last session, as she has left for holiday today. Back home before 3, and carried on with painting until about 5.15. In that time I finished all the painting work. Nick kindly agreed to wash the brushes so I could cook dinner, which was quick fried rice. The effect of the clouding with the blue and beige looks really good, and ties in nicely with the carpet and woodwork. I’m really pleased with the result, and the blue on the other walls looks clean and cool.

We heard on the radio yesterday that the water in Jamestown is now safe to drink without boiling or using any other chemical treatments. It’s nice to know that we can drink it again. It’s just a pity that we didn’t know we shouldn’t have been drinking it untreated – no wonder I had stomach ailments!

Nick finished his bible study prep yesterday, and this morning he completed his sermon prep, as he’s doing a sermon he’s preached before in SA. It’s a broadcast service on Sunday, so he’s not doing his John series. Since he had finished so quickly, we went out to Donny’s for lunch. This was well-timed, because it meant we could watch the RMS puff her way into James’ Bay at 12.30. Nick and I agreed that it was most excellent to be sitting right at the coast, watching our ship coming in, enjoying the weather from the shade of our table, and smelling the sea air. Right on time (actually about five seconds early on my watch), the RMS blew her horn to announce her arrival. It was awesome to hear the great and terrible clanking of metal as the anchor was let down, something we don’t often experience.

No comments: