Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A new Wedel is born


The collective Salzwedel family, my brother Alan and his wife Kate specifically, are very excited at the safe arrival of Zoë Talitha, born this morning at 07h50 GMT. Zoë is the first female of her generation, so the grandparents are definitely celebrating a girl after four boys.

We’ve had another public holiday today, which caught me by surprise. Had I known on Saturday that the shops would be closed today, I would have done some grocery shopping, or at least some menu planning for this evening’s meal with the Johnsons. But as it happened, I didn’t know, so I didn’t shop. That left me with only the month-end groceries in the cupboard, which were very sparse. Fortunately I had a lot of mince still, and I found a packet of pasta sauce, and I had onions and spaghetti, so it was spaghetti bolognaise for supper. It worked out pretty well, and I even baked a simple sponge cake for pudding as I had no tinned fruit, no jelly, no ice-cream, no nothing! And only just enough custard powder left to make 500 ml custard. All in all, the dinner was good. We had a super evening with the Js in conversation, with no lack of topics to discuss. After the meal, Caleb came and took all our plates away and put them in the sink.

No comments: