Friday, September 07, 2007

Strong winds stop school (not ours)

Yesterday afternoon I was busy scrapping, when Elza phoned. I asked what she was doing, and she said she was just wondering what to do, so I invited her to come and visit. She was here within five minutes! We had a super chat, and admired each other’s latest work. It’s wonderful to spend time with a genuine believer who loves the Lord and includes Him in her ‘everyday talk’!

There have been strong winds again today, and during the night last night – measuring about 53 km/h. A lot of damage has actually been done by the wind – fallen trees, rocks, and even part of the wall of High Knoll Fort has fallen (quite a big section apparently, measuring about 12 feet across!). A lot of roads have been closed, especially in the Bluehill area, and there have been power outages in a lot of areas, Sandy Bay being one. Because of this, both of the Bible Studies have been cancelled for this evening. Nick is glad to have the rest! All island schools were also closed for the day, because of transport issues and so on. We haven’t experienced any major inconveniences in town, except for a lot of dust in the house everywhere. We did some painting after school today, Aaron doing finger paints and Caleb using a paintbrush. I had told them yesterday that we would be doing finger painting, which the school schedule said we must do, but Caleb begged not to have to – I conferred with Nick, and Nick said it was okay for him to use a brush. He really hates getting his hands dirty! So weird. Hopefully he’ll outgrow this. Aaron, on the other hand, had a ball with the paint. He did one picture, and then painted his palms to be able to stamp.

During the afternoon I had a phonecall from the head teacher at Pilling Primary, asking if I would be interested in helping with a weekly craft class. The “help” to which she referred actually means “run”, but I have agreed to try it out for 10 weeks. I will go across the road on a Thursday afternoon, to run a group of 8 to 10 children, aged 7 – 11. I have to decide what craft thing we are going to do, and then do it with them. I will have access to all their craft supplies though, so I reckon it should be okay. I have a lot of resources for ideas, so won’t have to actually come up with my own original ideas.

No comments: