Friday, September 14, 2007

Tomatoes, shopping and craft class

They’re here! Lots of little tomatoes all over our outside plants! We saw them today for the first time, as I was outside (such wonderful weather) examining the plants to see how many flowers were on them, and I was thrilled to see at least 10 tomatoes growing. They’re only about 1 cm diameter, although the biggest we spotted was about a sturdy 1.5 cm. Let’s see what happens with them…an exciting start anyway!

It’s been another lovely day, weather wise. A little on the windy side, but not a cold wind, and no rain. Indeed, short-sleeved weather in the afternoon! The ship left at 11 am this morning, and returns next Tuesday or thereabouts, before making its dreaded voyage to the UK. But people are mostly happy because there are onions and milk again. I bought up a good selection of onions and carrots this afternoon, and even three aubergines, for which I shall have to locate a recipe.

Today was the first day of my craft class (see last Thursday’s post). After lunch I popped across to Pilling to see where I was supposed to actually be going, and gather some supplies – also see what supplies of craft stock they have there. I was shown into the storeroom, which is a bit of a crafter’s paradise. They have all manner of plain coloured cardboard, crepe paper, paper, paints, scissors, glues, and lots of other bits and pieces. It was great! I took some sheets of cardboard and scissors and glue, and the very helpful lady gave me an in-tray sort of thing to put it all in. I took it all home with me, and cut up a few bits and pieces in preparation. At 2 pm I was back at the school, and no one really knew where I should be going or what was actually going on. Eventually the deputy head was found, who showed me to the classroom, and then I just had to wait a few minutes until the kids arrived. There were 11 kids in all. I knew a couple of them from GNC or just around, and the rest of them I got to know as we went. It was actually a good hour – chaotic, but it worked. They managed to do their cards, and I had taken my paper punches, which I let them use. They absolutely loved them, both boys and girls, and spent most of the hour punching shapes from their cards and sticking on other coloured punchouts. Very much fun.

No comments: