Friday, February 08, 2008

Hospital visit and ministry opportunities

Caleb developed a tight chest during the night, and when the asthma pump wasn’t helping anymore, I nebulized him at 3 am, and then Nick did him again at 6 am. By 8 am we were at the hospital, because it was really quite severe. They nebulized him again, this time using steroids as well to try to quickly open up his chest. Shame, he was quite pale. He looked slightly better after that neb, and the doctor had a quick look at him and said I should come back later, as she wanted to see if his chest had opened. We were home again shortly after 9, and I sent Caleb upstairs to rest, as neither of us had very much sleep last night, and Aaron and I started school. By tenzees, Nick insisted that I take him back to the hospital because his breathing was so laboured again, and I managed to see the doctor again, who is a new lady and from Cape Town. She decided that it would be best to admit him so they can monitor him and nebulize him every four hours, so that is where he was for the rest of the day, and he is spending the night there too. Apparently there is a virus on the island causing this bad chest infection – when I was at the hospital this morning, about three or four other people came in early, young and old, with “the tightness”. Anyway, after leaving Caleb at the hospital, Aaron and I went to town to see what we could find by way of suitable hospital toys, and bought a stretchy frog with flashing lights inside it, and two books. Then I dropped Aaron at home, collected some clothes, pyjamas, and other requested toys and books for Caleb, and went back to the hospital. By then they were serving lunch, so I helped him cut up his chicken and mix in some rice and a few carrots (very nice food, actually). He couldn’t manage much of it, with very little appetite and coughing spasms. I didn’t stay long as I needed to get home to see to our lunch, and then I had the craft class, which was making door name-plates and sculptures. At 2.45 Nick, Aaron and I went back to visit Caleb, and stayed for about 20 minutes, just hanging around on the outside veranda, as Caleb’s ward opens out onto that section. When we were getting ready to leave again just after three, Caleb looked quite down, and actually followed me all the way out the hospital and sat on the steps. Poor guy. I had to send him back inside to be sure that he was safe and wasn’t going to try walk home! I sent Nick back up before he went on the rest of the way to bible study, with a little card Aaron and I made, and a soft toy, and two little sweets. Hopefully by now he will be settling down for the night. As you can imagine, school didn’t really happen very much today, although we got through little bits and pieces here and there.

Nick started a new Bible Study last night, in the Half Tree Hollow area at the Guide Hall, largely aimed at those who don’t come to our church (yet). Eventually they will be fed into the Knollcombes Chapel. The first night kicked off with a great start, with 14 people in attendance. I think that Wendy was the only person there who actually comes to our church and is a believer. Nick preached a very basic message, mostly gospel orientated, as those in attendance seemed to be very unknowledgeable regarding the wonderful truths of the Bible. Nick says that they really seemed to be listening, so perhaps this is the start of something! I had opportunity during the craft class this afternoon to share the gospel with the kids, who were actually quiet for 5 minutes and listened, until someone needed help making a flower. I quickly explained that we all sin and can’t get to heaven on our own, and that Jesus died to pay for our sins, so by repenting (which means turning your back on your sins) and asking for forgiveness, they can become Christians. This came about as one girl announced that she is my “sister in Christ”, so I asked if she knew what it meant to be a Christian – to which she answered, ‘no’!

No comments: