Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sleepover #4


Amazingly, I’m not trashed after last night’s sleepover. We had lights out at 12.35, followed by only a short period of whispering – I really didn’t have any trouble settling the girls. The evening was filled with noise, fun, excitement, dancing, music, DVDs, chatting amongst themselves, origami, pillow fights, crafts, nibbling on chips and chocolates, and washing up. We had ice-cream at about 10.30 pm. At 11 pm I put on a DVD and told them to get themselves settled and ready for bed, so that when the movie ended we could go to sleep. I was very disappointed at their choice of a movie to watch though, and I banned it – I don’t know what the actual content was, but it was rated “R” – restricted – because of sexual content and language. I got very heavy and deep on them, explaining that I was disappointed and thought it was inappropriate, and that they should examine their relationship with God if they are prepared to watch movies like this at their young age – certainly not God-honouring! It’s patently obvious though, that they have no guidance in these matters, other than their own uneducated consciences. We take it for granted that we know what’s right and wrong, but these girls simply haven’t learned. They have unchristian parents and live in a godless society. I am very burdened for them. I’ve been wanting to start a regular group for them, independent of the Good News Club, and was hoping that the sleepover would be a kickstart for it. Well, the opportunity didn’t arise last night to broach the subject, but this morning I just mentioned it rather casually to one girl (the oldest, who I particularly want to get involved as she is already attending the high school, and our only GNC person who hasn’t stopped coming since going there) and she was keen, so I took it up with the rest while they were sitting fairly quietly. I explained what my goal for the group is – that it’s to help them grow into Godly Christian women – and we’ve set Monday afternoons from 4–5 pm for the group to happen.

No comments: