Monday, June 30, 2008

Free gift (box)

Nick and Tammy were interviewed on the radio this morning regarding Tammy’s second album, “Say a Prayer”. It is set for release on 1 August, but this morning a single was aired for the first time. Tammy spoke first about the album, and the actual recording of it, and then handed over to Nick to say a little something. Nick came on air and said “a little something”, not being sure of what else he could possibly add to what Tammy had already said! They both thanked me and the boys for giving Nick up so many Saturdays, and the boys were squirmishly pleased to be so publicly acknowledged!

Back to school today, and it was great. During the first session the boys started getting a bit silly, but I decided that instead of getting cross with them, I’d let them have a bit of fun before reigning it in. That was a good idea. We’re still getting into Ancient Greece, and I’m finding it extremely interesting. One poor set of people from the Santorini island in Greece had to leave their homeland because food was scarce (there wasn’t much farmland in Greece due to the islands and mountains, so as the population grew, they had to start dispersing). They tried to settle in North Africa, but didn’t have success. On their return to their island, they were greeted with showers of stones and rocks from their own people, who didn’t want the extra burden of feeding these returned men, so they had to simply turn around again and sail back to Cyrene, where they had a more successful go at colonizing. I just wish I had some use for all this extra knowledge, because otherwise it goes as quickly as it comes! In the afternoon I prepared a craft for the girls’ group, which was to make little gift boxes. My topic this afternoon was God’s grace. The little yellow box I made became symbolic of salvation and God’s grace – it can’t be bought or earned, but simply has to be received. They loved making the craft, as always. It was 5.30 by the time I got Keisha and Tysha home, and only then could I start supper which was a vegetable-enriched cottage pie.

No comments: