Monday, June 02, 2008

Nurse Nick? Not!!

Today’s grand Sunday lunch was a chicken concoction with bacon, pineapple, peppers, peas, corn, pasta and a packet mix sauce of sorts. It was nice, but the boys didn’t really take to it. We had 1/3 of the tipsy tart with fresh custard, the other 2/3 being in the freezer already. Did you know that when you’re making custard, you don’t need to mix the custard powder, sugar and milk, and boil the milk separately? You can actually put everything in the pot together, and bring it to the boil together. I tried this today for the first time after Maureen saw me making custard the last time, and recommended this method. I was hesitant, as I never known it to work any other way, but it actually worked perfectly – and you use one less pot! We let the baby dove wander around outside for a while, in the sunshine. There was another dove nearby, and our baby ran to it and shivered in excitement, but there was very little interaction. Ours seems quite big compared to the adult – it just needs its tail feathers to grow. It’s still eating well and pooing lots, so seems to be fine. The plan for the afternoon was that after I washed the dishes, Nick would take my stitches out. He seemed confident that he could do it, and since he sounded so self-assured I was happy for him to do it. However, after taking a close look at them, he decided that he wouldn’t be able to after all, because there were two which seemed to be attached to one another, and he thought he might get an elbow in the head if he hurt me. Instead, he drove me to the hospital (I could have gone alone, but begged for the moral support), where we quickly found a nurse who did it in a flash. Because they were joined, she only needed to sever one, and they came out together. It stung slightly, but otherwise was pretty painless. I’m hugely relieved to have that done! The wound has closed up nicely, and now the scar and surrounding area just need to heal. A note for all those currently with stitches in them: don’t get the doctor to do it! Doctors are very good at putting sutures in, but hopeless at removing them. Find a nurse!

No comments: