Friday, July 11, 2008

Sudden zeal


Nick had his last prison visit this afternoon, as Jerry is being released tomorrow, and there are no other prisoners who are interested in attending chapel. They will let Nick know when his services are required again. The island boys arrived for their Friday playtime, but sadly Caleb had to send them away for health reasons. In the late afternoon I was busy making my regular pizza, and the boys were drawing in the diningroom (actually I think Caleb was just resting on the couch in there). Aaron asked me how to spell ‘now’ and then ‘because’, and then came into the kitchen with his handwritten note demanding more school. I thought he was joking, or simply trying to impress me, so I said in my most enthusiastic manner, ‘okay, why not do some Maths?’ – picking on his worst aspect of school. “Oooh yes”, he replied with unfeigned eagerness, and proceeded to do an entire worksheet which would have been Monday’s work. I just gave him the instructions for each section, and he got on and did it – with much more vigour and speed than he usually does in school. This was a very weird turn of events. Once that was done, and I had marked it (only two or three mistakes), he wrote another note advising me that he wanted to do writing next, but he backed out of that one before it got too serious. So I’m pondering whether he really does like school, and especially Maths, as of this afternoon, or if he’s doing penance for a deed of naughtiness this afternoon – he took himself to the corner shop by himself without my knowledge or prior consent, against my express orders that he is first to check with me. If it hadn’t have been for Caleb coming to tell me about this misdeed (he felt he had to get it off his chest), I surely would have known by Aaron’s suddenly discoloured teeth. Jelly beans tend to leave an impression. I’m hoping the wooden spoon left an impression on Aaron’s heart.

And now for an update on the status of our health: Nick is still blowing his nose, but doesn’t seem to have been too bad today. I am still blowing my nose and have started coughing a bit, and my voice sounds sick. Caleb is getting worse, as the cold has settled like a squatter under a railway bridge on his chest. Aaron doesn’t seem to be sick at all, other than that his nose runs a bit.

No comments: