Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Tooth filled ... and ... not filled

This morning I cracked a filling. Remember the tooth that was most recently worked on, where the third time was supposed to be the keeper? It kept, but only until now. So vexing. I don’t know what happened, but the filling was moving around a lot and I didn’t really think I should leave it, so at 8.30 I was at the dentist (and very neatly parallel parked, I might add). The waiting room was crowded, so after about half an hour’s wait, I thought I should rather ask the receptionist for a proper appointment since I wasn’t actually in pain. There was nothing for about three weeks, other than one little slot later in the morning today, so I took it with glee! I went home and did the bulk of school, and was back in the waiting room at 11.15. It’s a new dentist again, so he had to look at my records and I saw his eyebrow lift. A bit of probing dislodged the old filling and it nearly went straight down my throat, but I sat up in time and took it out. He explained that the tooth really needs a crown, which they don’t do on the island, but I assured him that I would be happy if he could just save the tooth and keep it going with temporary fillings, even if I have to come back every month when it falls out! He didn’t need to do an injection, just filled it up again which took some time because the drill was acting up, but eventually he got it sorted out.

I went straight to town for a few goodies after that, and by the time I got home, Nick had already seen to the boys’ lunch and was about to do an art lesson with them. Harry arrived though so that was postponed and instead I finished our read-alouds. Harry finished his visit as we finished school, so Nick continued with his art lesson on shading. I participated very obligingly, since Nick had already photocopied one of the pages for me to colour in, although I was wanting to make a batch of cookies. I let the boys help me with them when they had finished – so easy, since it’s a packet mix (10p on the reduction shelf). Aaron helped to mix the dough nicely with his hands, and both boys shaped them into flattened rounds. Caleb did the spray and cook outside. The boys had to exercise a great deal of patience in waiting until threezees before eating theirs! I had one of mine while it was still warm and soft, but I felt a very hard bit in it which was in fact this morning’s filling, already out. So here I sit with a big hole in my tooth. I’ll have to go back tomorrow morning. Nick went off to his guitar lesson in the afternoon, and I had the afternoon at home, on my own.

No comments: