Thursday, July 24, 2008

White gold

I’ve been trying to keep our non-curriculum school week interesting, so after a bit of writing yesterday, I did a craft with the boys, making foam bookmarks. I had them stitch a border with real needles and embroidery thread, and I must say, they did it better than some of the girls I had in my craft class at Pillings! Maybe sewing is really more of a man’s thing after all, because the boys at Pillings didn’t struggle either. Once the sewing bit was done, we stuck on foam shapes. I told them about the bookmark I made for their grandpa when I was in primary school, which he still uses in his Readers’ Digest! In the afternoon it was so balmy outside that we ate our lunch and then didn’t want to go indoors straight away, so Nick started examining the potato plants and felt that it would be a good time to dig them out and see if anything had grown. We were very surprised that quite a number of potatoes had grown – all these out of four or five rotten potatoes that just needed to be buried because they stank too much to be thrown away. We harvested about twenty, although at least half were no bigger than brussel sprouts. I roasted a few of the tiny ones last night, as I had chicken on the go in the oven, and they were pretty good. Potatoes are nowhere to be found in the shops, so these are really valuable.

This morning I cancelled the first part of school so that I could quickly finish off a scrapbook page I started yesterday, to be able to show Elza when we met for coffee at 10. I took the boys’ maths books and other reading books so that they could do their school out, and although the Maths wasn’t too successful, Caleb enjoyed reading his book in a tree. Elza took this photo of Caleb. She needed to leave at about 11 to get to physio, so we just went home after that and finished off the Maths, and I did a read-aloud. Nick went to gym in the afternoon.

No comments: