Friday, August 29, 2008

Around the house

It’s been a glorious day today, with mostly-clear skies almost the whole day – I took the rare opportunity of blue skies to take some pics around the complex:



At the entrance to the complex - Flagstaff is the peak just to the left.



Diana's Peak and her neighbours are just to the left of the windswept tree. On a clear day we have beautiful views all around.


I love the hibuscus hedges all over the complex, forming walls between the road and properties - it's really pretty here!


I did a load of washing in faith as usual, and so of course I was very pleased that the sun was out and I could take in the washing at about 2 pm and pack it all away. Nick had an early start to get to Knollcombes to help Charles and Maisie pack up their valuables, as they will be relocating for a short while during the time that their house is reroofed – it leaks quite badly, apparently. After C&M, Nick went to town to start clearing things from the church and schoolroom. I’m not sure exactly what he did, but Teddy was there as well. The boys started their day by watching some of last year’s science experiments, which I put on while Caleb was having his morning neb. Nick was home at about 1ish, by which time I had started cleaning the house. I spent the morning doing a bit of scrapping and e-mailing and this and that. I also cut the boys’ hair which I have been wanting to do for a few days. Aaron had 2-minute noodles for lunch but managed to drop them all on the carpet, so he picked them up again and we let the cats have them. All three kittens have appeared now and are regularly at our doorstep. I actually even bought cat food!


We had Harry and Jenny to dinner, along with their houseguests – Jenny’s aunt and her husband are visiting them for a few months. I made a macaroni cheese (with fresh tomatoes from our garden), but I got a bit confused with the quantity. I knew I needed to make a big one, so I used the entire 500g packet of macaroni, with 1.5l of cheese sauce. The sauce and macaroni were perfect for each other, but it made two huge casserole dishes! And I had two garlic loaves and broccoli, so it was a good meal and very sufficient – we barely touched the second dish. It was a great evening. Harry and Jenny’s friend Peter left the island two weeks ago, and sent back a suitcase full of beads for me. His late wife was a keen beader, and Peter has been looking for a home for the beads since she passed away about a year ago. Wow, what a huge gift!! She had already made up a lot of necklaces and earrings, so I think I am going to have to apply for a work permit now and sell them.

No comments: