Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thursday, In Which Lynn Discovers Yams

A chap came around to the house earlier wanting to know if we wanted to buy yams. I didn’t really know what to say since I don’t actually know what yams are, other than that they fall into the vegetable category, but on relaying to him my complete ignorance as to what to do with them he assured me that it was already cooked. Oh well, I thought, that takes the guesswork out – a bit more questioning from my side set the price at ₤1.50 for a chunk. The chunk was quite a sizeable piece of freshly cooked yam still in its dark purple skin, wrapped in clingfilm, still hot. Ah, that’s what a yam is then. I set about examining this curious purchase. My first surprise was that yams are a delicate mauve colour on the inside. My second surprise was that there was a layer of gooey slime on the skin which could have been put to excellent use in a low-budget sci-fi movie. I cut off the tiniest bit and nibbled on it before deciding that I do not like yams. Mama Cat was sitting outside the kitchen door, so gleefully I sliced off a layer and cut it into bite-size chunks to offer to the unfortunate feline. Mama Cat looked at it, sniffed it, looked at me, licked it, and then very decisively refused to eat it. So I have a large chunk of yam sitting in the fridge now. Perhaps if I leave it there long enough it will go mouldy and I can throw it away without feeling too guilty?

Nick discovered a new shop in Longwood yesterday, not more than 100m away from our regular store. This little one is a branch of Rose & Crown, it seems, as they stock DVDs bearing R&C’s name. Very handy to have a shop right here with DVDs – saves us going all the way to town to take one out and return it! The shop also sells a mode-podge of items, from potatoes and bacon to WD40, with biscuits and tinned goods and even clothing items between. Seems a bit more expensive than the regular places though so I probably won’t do my monthly grocery shopping there!

School today was pretty good, after a few difficult days with Caleb. Aaron is very poorly though with a cold – runny nose and cough, but he got through the work anyway. It’s not often that Aaron is sicker than Caleb! Caleb seems to be quite well again. We did a fair amount of tomorrow’s work as well, so that we will be able to go with Nick to town in the morning. Speaking of school, I’ve ordered the next curriculum now. For some reason I couldn’t order it through their website again, same problem as last year, so I was phoned earlier in the evening by Sonlight in the States to get my credit card details, so they can process the order from their side. I’m very excited to have it done. Pam came by this evening to play guitar – this will be a regular Thursday thing. It’s fun, and Maddison comes along and entertains the boys.

No comments: