Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tooth fairy surprised

We’re two for two now…two loads of washing dried in the last two days! Yesterday and today have been glorious, although cold and foggy in the morning, and last night was freezing – but the days are lovely.

Yesterday I took Caleb to the dentist as he had been complaining of a sore tooth,. I had a good look in his mouth before we went, and he pointed to the back of his mouth to show me where it hurt, where I saw a new molar coming out – doh! I guessed that was the problem, but thought it would be good for him to have a check-up anyway. We finished most of school before leaving at 11 (Nick and Aaron came along as Nick needed to go to town). Nick left us at the dentist and went to the manse for some books. We didn’t have to wait long before the dentist was ready for us, and he checked all Caleb’s teeth including the odd arrangement of canines, confirming that Caleb will probably need orthodontics one day. Anyway, he found where the real pain was – one of the baby molars had a huge cavity. It was too big to even fill so the only option was to extract it. I couldn’t believe it!! Caleb was very open to the suggestion and didn’t have any complaints, but when it came to administering the anaesthetic he was none too happy! Very brave though despite the horrible tasting injection and the pricks. We were sent back to the waiting room for the anaesthetic to kick in, during which time Nick arrived, so I was exceedingly glad for him to accompany Caleb for the actual extraction part. It wasn’t more than ten minutes before they reappeared, Caleb with a smile and a tissue in his hand containing the tooth. Apparently it was a very easy one. I was amazed that he handled it so well – having recently undergone the experience I know it’s not very pleasant. The tooth fairy duly visited last night.

Because it’s been so nice outside, I’ve been able to get far with the weeding of the front garden. I thought I cleared most of it yesterday, but there was still lots to do today. I’ve collected four rubbish bags of weeds now. All that is left now are a few patches around the tomato plants. I wanted to get some things planted though, so I looked around to see what could go in there – picked four sizeable geranium branches and stuck those in as well as a bit of a daisy bush. I don’t know if those will take, but at least they’ll look nice for a day or two before wilting! I also transplanted a small Blackwood tree from the porch garden. It will eventually become too big for that little space; it’s in a better location now. I don’t really know that there’s all that much point in doing what we’re doing since we most likely won’t be here long enough to really see the results of what we’re doing!

No comments: