Friday, October 31, 2008

Whose birthday is it anyway?

Today was Nick’s birthday. It’s been a very un-birthday day for him, which he says doesn’t bother him at all - he doesn’t need to feel special. I was hoping to go to Sally’s for lunch, but Nick was up to his neck in preparing radio talks to be recorded tomorrow morning. In the afternoon he had to be at the manse at 2 pm for another contractor to come to give a quote. At least we ate our lunch outside together – ham, cheese and mayo sandwiches, and Rio to drink. The weather has been pretty good today, although still considerably colder in Longwood than Jamestown, which is finally in its summer.

The boys each made a birthday card for Nick’s birthday on Thursday, as per their norm. Aaron’s was an iris-folding card which he forgot to write in, but Caleb made his on Wednesday afternoon and wrote in it “anyone can be a male, but it takes something special to be a father”. I thought it was amazing, but he said he remembered it from a fridge magnet on Aunty Pam’s fridge. Aaron asked, “what? What is the special something?” Caleb, his childish innocence at its best, answered “a wife”.

But let me tell you about the rest of the day…we started school shortly after 8, because I didn’t quite know what the day’s arrangements would be, so wanted to get school done early. We were finished by about 10.30. That left me free to go to Printech to sort out the photocopying of 100 rockfall brochures to be put on the ship, along with a donations-box which Steve is making – unfortunately things didn’t happen in time so it didn’t make it onto this ship. After Printech I wended my way to the docks where I nearly ran over a boy who ran out from in front of a stationery bus without checking for cars. Thankfully I was going slowly and could brake in time, but I was shaken up and slightly angry with the boy’s stupidity. But, thank the Lord nothing happened. I drove right up to the customs hall and parked directly outside, so that I wouldn’t have to carry the heavy books box far. I paid the grand total of ₤1.50 to retrieve the two boxes, one of which had snacks from Wilson, a scrapping order for me and Elza, and a package from our Williamsons in the USA. Then I couldn’t wait to get home for us to unpack everything! Lunch was a bit delayed as we opened all the boxes and had our first look; after lunch we had a longer peruse of everything. The boys’ books are really wonderful – there is such a great selection and variety, and with the extra books I got for Caleb to read, there are loads of good fiction books which the boys can simply pick up at any time. Already, Caleb has read one of Aaron’s readers through, and has started on one of his own, without any prompting from me. Aaron is delighted with all that he will be reading too. This is how the living area looked…I’m pleased to say that it was sorted out fairly promptly thereafter!

No comments: