Friday, January 09, 2009

Camera-camera!

Negotiations closed with a local last night to buy his Nikon D80…we were at his place first thing this morning to pick it up and pay for it! The rest of the day was taken up playing ‘camera-camera’. Although I can use it as a point-and-shoot, I obviously want to get a lot more out of it, so I have to study the manual thoroughly. So far I’m on about page four…familiarising myself with the buttons, and how to change lenses and charge the battery. At least I managed to get photos onto the computer! Nick played with it too so that he will also be able to use it, at least the basics. We are very impressed with it! It has two lenses, an 18-135 and a 70-300, which is a kicker lens – huge, and does amazing things. Apart from my PotD, I’m going to post experimental photos on the blog regularly.
I particularly loved this agapanthus which I took from a distance of about 2m:

This is Jessina who lives near to Piccolo (Ema, this one’s for you!). Photo by Nick.

And at last, Fairy Terns in their natural environment…a photo I have long been wanting to take!

I took a wander around Piccolo in the afternoon, intending to take pictures, but happened upon Claire and DT, so stopped by for a chat and stayed for about an hour. Although I’m wary of having neighbours in such close proximity (my personal insecurities…what if people are constantly on my doorstep and I have no retreat-time?), I think it’s really awesome having all these moms about. Piccolo has the feel of a holiday home or camp site now, where the residents stop to chat. Next Saturday we’re planning a Piccolo Picnic (well, it didn’t have such a narfy title until right now when I typed it, but that’s what it will be), where we can all hang out together and get to know one another. The new residents have the advantage of having spent the week together on the ship.

1 comment:

The Williamsons said...

Miss Lynn, your photos look wonderful! And thank you for the picture of Jesse! :D
-ema