Monday, February 16, 2009

Swimming in the South Atlantic, tum de dum

This afternoon we took ourselves off to James’ Bay, where Nick was quite keen for a swim. This time I talked myself into swimming as well, and I surprised myself by really enjoying it. We had two tubes and a pair of armbands between the four of us, and made our way across the bay from the landing steps to some rocks not too far away, then back again. The water was disgustingly salty as seawater tends to be, but not very cold. Extremely clear – I could see my shadow on the rocky seabed. Fortunately I didn’t see any fish otherwise I might have exited with haste! Nick swam back to the rocks again to join some kids who were jumping off some dizzying heights into the water. He did three jumps, consecutively higher – the last being about 24 feet as we calculated it. He says it was scary. We were back home by about 4.30, I think, and then it was back to town a short while later for church. I invited Jessina, one of the teenage girls who lives close to Piccolo. She was very keen to come, more to relieve her boredom than to hear Nick preaching, I’m sure, but I think she enjoyed it.

No comments: