Tuesday, April 14, 2009

From sunflowers to pineapples and potatoes

I had an unusual order of beaded sunflower brooches for the ladies at the Sunflower Café in Gordon’s Post. I wasn’t sure how to tackle them, and after a few failed attempts came up with these...they’re not my masterpiece, but passed as acceptable! I delivered them en route to town in the afternoon. Following Aaron’s tooth saga at the end of last month, the corresponding permanent tooth has now come up through the gum – what a relief! True, it’s come through perpendicular to the first tooth, but at least the first tooth gets to stay in. His little mouth is going to be filled with orthodontics at some future point.

Caleb is turning eight on Saturday. We’ve organized a party for him including a jumping castle (a first for us) which should keep the kids busy during the afternoon. We have long since ordered from the UK, and received, his main present, but I was hoping to add to that a few requested or necessary items. To my dismay and frustration I couldn’t find either of the very basic things I was looking for. Just when I am getting really comfortable on the island, I am reminded that it’s still a very remote island and things are not readily available. Sigh. Currently there is a shortage of tinned pineapple – I know this because my regular Friday night pizza has not been the same for the last month or two without it! Potatoes arrived on a cruise ship over the weekend. There are currently four ocean-going ships in the bay – our RMS, a small Russian cruise ship, and two Namibian navy ships.

No comments: