Sunday, May 31, 2009

May 31st

It’s been a marvelous day, filled with birthday happenings. First thing was that Nick brought me tea in bed, and a birthday letter from him. The boys were still fast asleep after last night’s happenings, so they didn’t come bouncing in with their cards, but gave them to me over breakfast – such sweet sentiments of good wishes with hearts and teddy bears in their beautiful, innocent script. Aaron also gave me ₤1 of his own money. Nick and the boys gave me a lens…for the photographers reading this, a 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor lens, brilliant (actually Nick caved and gave me the lens before the party last night – those low-light photos were with the hand-held camera, unflashed). From my parents I had a tripod and remote, and a picture frame from Tammy. Nick left for church at the usual time, and I was just at home with the boys during the morning. I scrapped…it was good to be scrapping again after waiting for a cartridge to arrive! Clare came by during the morning with a present of a lovely handmade St Helena shopping bag. When Nick came home we were ready to meet up with Pam, Geoff and Maddy at Castle Gardens for a picnic. The weather had changed since yesterday into fantastic summer weather again (and the washing is now dry), perfect for being outdoors. We enjoyed our ham rolls, cocktail sausages, chips, and cupcakes (Pam and Maddy made pink-iced cupcakes especially), and after a bit of relaxing we headed back to Pam’s place where we internet-bought my birthday present – a one-year subscription to a digital camera magazine! I am spoiled. We couldn’t stay at their place for long because we needed to get home for the next engagement, which was a Skype call to Constantia Park Baptist Church in SA, as part of their missions weekend. It was WONDERFUL to be a part of their service, albeit only via a phonecall. I do confess to being emotional while one of the elders prayed for us at the conclusion of the call…suddenly we were no longer in an isolated community, but a part of a very real, warm fellowship of brothers and sisters who are so dear to us. At our evening service, I had another round of singing to during the notices…Steve was leading and had come prepared with the birthday music to play on his violin! Maureen blessed me with body butter…yummy stuff! So, it was a really great day all around…and thanks to all the Facebookers for many birthday greetings too!
PS - spot the remote-holders...there are three, and none of them is me...

No comments: