Thursday, June 18, 2009

Getting sorted

24 hours in…and we’re still okay. I don’t expect to really fall apart at any point, but it is reassuring to know that we can do this. Aaron still reckons he feels sad, but Caleb is Caleb. We’re all thinking of Nick – at supper time we discussed what we thought he might be eating on the ship. Caleb suggested roasted pig’s head with an apple in its mouth, and I added pigeon pie and roasted baby duckling to the menu. Then we had an imperative sentence conversation, followed by an irrelevant answer conversation, and then answer-question-with-a-question conversation. It was all rather fun. The boys and I are bonding. I’m forced to stay friends with them as they are my greatest allies against loneliness.

School this morning was fine, despite that I had to make my own coffee. I attempted the impossible by doing two loads of washing, which involved a lot of juggling during the morning between the airer, washline, chairs, and our bed. One just has to be quick, and get everything in again at the first drops before there’s a downpour. The boys had been looking through some scripture cards, then wanted to find the full verses in their bibles, so they spent a bit of time poring over the Word – it was a wonderful sight! I cleaned the house, caught up on stuff, and then before any sort of boredom could set in, I started looking at the photos from our 2001 UK holiday to decide how to use them. I’m very excited about this whole project – it should keep me busy for ages!

2 comments:

Genevieve said...

My prayer for you on Wednesday specifically was that this would be a wonderful time of bonding for you and the boys...and there it was at the beginning of this post! Answer to prayer! God is so good!

Elspeth said...

O, is it not wonderful see how God is working in the boys' hearts!