Friday, July 10, 2009

Can you hold a rainbow in your hand?

Another sunny start to the day…Caleb got out the small mirrors which are part of our science kit, and was having fun reflecting light into the unlit parts of the house. I got another mirror involved to reflect the light to a different place, and then we had three mirrors going. It was great, but got even more exciting when Caleb brought out a prism and we made rainbows. The boys love seeing science in action. That made us a bit late for school but since it was educational I was happy to go with it. In spelling this morning one of the words was ‘rills’ (whatever that means). I said it with a trilled r sound; Caleb looked first at his paper and then up at me and I could see by the utter confusion on his face that he had no idea how to spell that sound. I had to laugh. We had a few interruptions during school – Nick’s ex-guitar pupil Gareth stopped by at 9.30, saying that he had come to Longwood for petrol but the pump only opens at 10. I invited him in, made him a cup of tea, and then he sat on the couch quietly playing the nylon-string guitar, and chatting in between my teaching bits. He left at ten, and then we had our tenzees. At 10.20 Nick phoned and we chatted for a few minutes. We carried on with school after that, but I had to stop before we had finished to make lunch of cottage pie and peas, and then we did a science experiment, and only after that did we finish the read-aloud – so school ran quite late today. In the afternoon I completely finished off the album – so glad that it’s completely done now after 7½ years of the photos lying dormant. And then I smiled at Caleb and said, “now what”? He got me and smiled back. At 4.40 I took the boys to Beavers, then went to have a cup of tea at Pam’s place.

1 comment:

The Williamsons said...

Rills:
meaning a small rivulet or brook

And no, I didn't know that either. I had to look it up.