Monday, July 06, 2009

Winter to summer

Our combined afternoon service at Head o’Wain was very enjoyable. I was a little unsure of how to actually get there since I’ve only ever been driven there, and despite getting directions (turn right at both forks) I was a bit nervous. So when I saw Steve just ahead of me from the point where our two paths meet, I was heartily relieved! I had to drive fast to keep up with him (note to Steve: I think you drive very fast!), but the important bit was to see where the two forks were. Pam was already there when we arrived so we launched straight into practicing the few hymns before just filling in time with a selection of worship songs. The little chapel filled up very satisfactorily. The governor led the service and preached an insightful message on Psalm 103 – a Psalm of praise. It was excellent. By the time church was over the weather had turned really filthy – it was windy, rainy and really cold. I gave Pam and Maddy a lift back into town, where it was sunny and hot. Go figure. I took the boys to the seaside where they threw rocks into the ocean for a few minutes, but the Head o’Wain weather was catching up with us and we had a bit of rain on the way home. Caleb and Aaron found Tom and Sappho as soon as we got home and despite the cold, played outside. They also came and painted some boats (actually just pieces of driftwood, but to kids, they’re fabulous boats) with my craft paints. I carefully supervised but they were all very responsible with the paint. I guess they are a little scared of me after last weekend’s mud story, and they listened attentively to my ‘don’t mix the paints’ lecture.

No comments: