Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Death by jelly

The kitchen hormones came upon me today as I felt the urge to defrost the freezer and at last I got rid of the blob of mouldy, frozen broccoli at the back of the fridge. While I was busy in the kitchen I had a load of washing going (actually I did two loads today – glorious sunshine all day) and I suppose that for two sick boys on indoor play restrictions it’s inevitable that watching the washing machine becomes a form of entertainment. The boys encouraged the towels and pants to keep going, sympathised with their shirts which must surely be getting dizzy, and even sang to the assortment of swirling underwear. I spent the better part of the morning in the kitchen, moving on to the stove once the fridge was clean and happy. Directly after lunch I did the grocery shopping with Aaron in tow who helped me carry bags to the car. I made a bowl of jelly in the afternoon at Aaron’s request; later I found two Lego men face down in the partially set mass. Honestly, one never knows what’s going to happen next when there are two boys living in the house. At least they had the stomachs to remove the stiffened rat from the courtyard this morning and even gave it a proper burial. I thought I had removed the rat yesterday (gripping it by its tail with a peg), but the cats must love us very much to have brought the same present twice.

I forgot to mention yesterday that our evening service was excellent. Nick’s message from Acts could be used as a stand-alone about ‘what is your purpose’ – Paul was clear about his purpose in life and did not mind facing death for it. It was extremely challenging, especially as I have been considering of late what my purpose is…I have the strong feeling that I need to be doing more with my time but don’t yet know what.

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

These photos alone are PROOF that Saint Helena is the best environment to instill imaginative play in children!
I wish I could have been there when you opened the frig and found the Lego men!