Friday, October 30, 2009

Free verse and beads

The boys were required to write a free-form poem this morning. We clearly are not up to Ema W's standard, but I thought the boys did a good job. I scribbled off my own while they were busy.

Soldier by Caleb
There he stands holding his shiny sword
Not a sound he makes when wounded,
not a sound he makes.
He shows but a brave face
at battle
My brave little soldier
is brave.

An apple by Aaron
It is nice and red and green
Like a hummingbird.
But when you bite it you reveal
something completely different.
An apple.

Home by me
Toys about
Specks appear
on the carpet, once so clean
I struggle on.
The washing machine has lost its hum
And so another plan must come.
Cups on table,
Coffee stains
Always something left undone.
This is home, my resting place
A place of life and days of grace
Though not immaculate
Its space is bright
Filled with love and family light.

And yes, we are still without a washing machine while the one belonging to our unit is being repaired. Fortunately we have access to the our old one at the manse, but it’s not extremely convenient!

I’ve been commissioned to make a beaded window hanging, sort of a faux-curtain. I’m sure there’s a proper name for it. I love seeing the beads like this: mixed, colourful and shiny...

2 comments:

Genevieve said...

Wonderful poetry! A lovely addition to the blog
I should think you will be able to use up quite a lot of beads making a curtain. Will you use clear fishing twine?

The Williamsons said...

Your poems are wonderful and you each seem to have your own style!