Friday, October 09, 2009

Hard work and lots of fun

Ah, productivity…I love getting to the end of the day and feeling like I’ve really accomplished something, even though it is rather trivial in the grander scheme of things. Still, these things are necessary. I hadn’t planned on tackling the boys’ room today – I was going to wait for the school holidays and set aside an entire day, but the boys got the jump on things and when I realized where their questions of ‘what should I do with this’ and ‘can I have another black bag’ were leading, it seemed like the time had come. I was dreading this task but it turned out to be surprisingly easy, particularly when Nick joined in after finishing his sermon prep. We had a lot of fun and silliness in school this morning when we came to science where we were learning about jet engines, turbine engines, steam engines and so on, which got us on to the subject of jumbo jets and the Boeing 747 which we’ll be flying on, which led us to the topic of toilets on the plane and how it sucks things out instead of flushing them away. Now put yourself into the mind of a 6- or 8-year-old boy and see where this can go. True, it was mostly my fault because I cautioned them that when the time comes, not to press the button while they were still seated. They came up with scenarios of being turned inside out by the vacuum created, or eyeballs being sucked out if you were hanging your head over the bowl. Oh, and I also found some interesting objects which completely distracted the boys during maths: long black gloves and a hairpiece. Caleb said I could put his picture on the blog if I didn’t say who it was, so below we have Aaron and some other nameless person.

2 comments:

Buckland said...

That hair piece is so funny. Tell that nameless person that the photo looks brilliant. :D

Genevieve said...

This sounded like a very fun day!