Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A right family reunion

The red letter day on everyone’s calendar finally rolled around and I know there was as much excitement from our families’ sides as there was from ours! Mark dropped us off at the airport in good time for us to catch our short flight to Joburg, which was fairly smooth apart from a bumpy and abrupt landing. We couldn’t wait to get through the doors to greet family – to meet us were (pay close attention because there are names coming up which I will refer to again over the next five weeks) Nick’s dad Tony and partner Sue, my parents, and my brother Alan and his wife Kate with their gorgeous daughter Zoë, my only niece. I suppose it goes without saying that there were a few tears shed! We made our way to my brother’s place where Nick’s sister Kathryn and her family (Jerome and sons Ethan and Jack) and my Aunty Doreen joined us for a relaxed afternoon BRAAI. Since we are now in South Africa I will call barbeques ‘braais’ and red tea, ‘rooibos’. I may also mention takkies and bakkies which I’ll explain as I go along! My oldest brother Raymond also called in during the afternoon but unfortunately his boys were down with a bug so only Jared could accompany him. Caleb and Aaron were thrilled to be reunited with three of their four male cousins and had a raucous afternoon swimming, running around and playing Frisbee in the park adjoining my brother’s place. Stopped off briefly at a Pick’n’Pay on the way home looking for a UK adapter which we didn’t find, but just look at all the fruit!!!!! Alan also liked the plums…

1 comment:

Hazel Beckett said...

I HATE the picture of all the fruit... I am drooling.