Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Connections

Had a full day of furniture and house hunting, collected my new toy (a Nokia E63 – it’s such fun having gadgets after four years where we were virtually technologyless), and discovered self-checkout (very cool – you get to scan your own items and feed money in to a machine) at Pak'n'Save, which is where most of my grocery shopping will happen. They are notoriously cheaper than Countdown (which was called Woolworths) and New World which is the most expensive. Our first evening engagement was tea at Caroline Bay. Miriam had organized with some friends and family to meet up for the evening, and everyone brought picnic-style food - salads and cold chicken and quiches and things. There were a few people we hadn't met and it was great to get to know them. We ate supper under a portable gazebo, and then headed to the actual beach proper afterwards. The kids swam and the men played volleyball. I wandered around and had as much conversation as my throat would allow, but my voice was starting to hurt - I've picked up a throat infection since being here, possibly from the plane journey. Above: Caleb and Caleb, and below: Carl and Miriam and the family (they politely declined my request to photograph their fronts at their own home previously, so I'm doing it paparazzi-style...)After a great evening we were ready to head home at about 8.30 pm - twilight. We got the boys into bed and then went out directly again at 9 pm to visit Matt and Rachel, Miriam’s sister and brother-in-law. This was our first time socializing and we had a great evening of fellowship. Photos of all people will follow in due course…I guess I’m the one who is camera shy after all!

No comments: