Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ah, organization...

We passed a "3-2-1-Zero" something or other bin system inspection today - it's taking some serious concentration knowing which bin (red, green or yellow) to dispose of waste in. Had a thoroughly domestic day…both because I love being in my kitchen, watching the roses in the courtyard swaying in the wind, and because I love being in charge again. I enjoy a sense of organization, having fresh produce prepared and frozen in neat little family-sized portions, all lined up in their self-sealing bags; having cheese grated and ready, and having frozen meals on hand. All these things I battled to do on the island both because I had a small freezer and because I seldom had a glut of fresh produce that called for freezing. Now, after four years, I can run things the way I like them again. Thus it was that I was hard at work scrubbing carrots for use, chopping and freezing beans, making carrot and potato soup, pureeing tomatoes, grating my 1kg cheese purchase, and even making lemon juice with the lemons from our own little tree in the front garden. In between this we had our own school, and accompanied Nick to the Timaru Christian School where he took the assembly again. Also made proper food for tea – soup for starters, and beans, mash and mince for the main course! Nick busied himself making a bookshelf with the oddments of packaging from the flat-pack furniture – did a great job and we now have a place for all the boys’ school books.

No comments: