Thursday, October 21, 2010

TCS our second home?

Take a deep breath before launching into a busy Thursday with me: Dropped the boys off at school, headed back to Waimataitai School for my bible class, in which I taught the Christmas story and left a carrot cake with them after singing "Happy birthday dear Jesus". Fiddled on a invitation on Gimp, then started prepping for my photography club, which took longer than anticipated as I started editing photos as well. Nick, meanwhile, was out getting the car WOF'd...like a roadworthy certificate which gets done biannually. The car failed on two counts, so we need new tires and brake pads. Nick and I left home together at 2 pm to run a few errands in town before going to TCS for our clubs. Our topic today was black and white although most of my group struggled to take photos with uncharged batteries in their cameras! No one pitched for Nick's guitar lesson so he and Aaron went to practice badminton before their second club at 4.30 - badminton in the school hall with Matt. Nick and I played a bit as well and by the end of an hour or so we could maintain a decent rally - I was never very good in school and have gotten worse since. That ended at 5.30 but we had another meeting at the school at 6.30; instead of coming home we took our tea there and hung around. The 6.30 meeting was a planning one for a South African Fair coming up in November; Nick and I were conscripted into helping. Possibly I was already in a silly mood but when the Afrikaans (oph-ree-cahns) version of "teat bottles" (baby bottles) kept being bandied about I couldn't hold back my guffaws and tears. The meeting was conducted almost entirely in Afrikaans, with Grant occasionally translating for Nick's benefit...I found it amusingly ironic that this was the most Afrikaansish meeting I've ever attended, despite having grown up in SA! Home at 8 - the boys had been at the school nearly 12 hours - and then Nick left immediately for the bakery for his late-night voluntary shift.

No comments: