Friday, October 15, 2010

Two teas, two clean-ups and five seconds

Friday: the last day of the first week of school, and I can report that I have two happy boys. Both are convinced that they have the best teacher, and both have worked hard and seem to be taking the whole school thing quite seriously. Let's hope it continues in this way! It was a busy day for me...no time for this 'lady of leisure' stuff. I started tea preparations early, doing a pudding and lasagne mince, then washed the kitchen floor (I had started sticking to it and the 5-second rule had been reduced to a millisecond rule). At 12.30 I met up with some South African ladies for an afternoon tea arranged by Kristi, one of our church ladies. It was great to meet a few of the TCS moms as well - some of their children I knew by name from the boys mentioning them. Had to leave before the others to get to a music practice at the church with Nick and Bronwyn, and then Nick left me at the church for my rostered cleaning while he collected the boys. Back home a bit later to finish preparations for tea, and then had a super evening with the Mouton family - Jacques and Ina, their children Jacques and Inge, and Ina's mom Gerda, the matriarch of the family. They are Afrikaans SAcans and Jacques Snr had some very interesting and funny stories to share of life on a farm in a small 'dorp', growing up without electricity and mod-cons!

No comments: