Wednesday, November 03, 2010

No easy matter

So I met my 'case' today...a dear boy who is just darling, most of the time. The other times are...challenging! More than that I cannot say, but I can see that I'm going to earn my keep these next 7 weeks at the school. It seems that not a lot gets done in school - I say this carefully, and absolutely not as a reflection on the teacher who is excellent with the children - more as a reflection on a system which has new entrants starting throughout the year as they turn five, so all the kids are at different levels and each one needs individual teaching. It's chaotic and haphazard, but somewhere in there I am sure there is a plan and they do eventually learn to read, write and 'rithmatize. I think this is where homeschooling shines...in 3 1/2 hours at home both boys did spelling, handwriting, reading, language arts, maths, geography, science and history - every day! But the kids learn other things at school which they would not learn at home, like fitting into a system and working together as a team. Today, we had a field trip to the museum (Aaron's class was also in on it, so I got to see him). It was extremely interesting and fun, especially seeing insects under a digital microscope, projected onto a large screen. The girls nearly turned inside out when a monstrously magnified spider appeared :)
The boys have recently bought themselves these heely things - rear-wheel roller skates that attach onto shoes. Seems to be much trickier than it would appear to be to use them effectively!

No comments: