Monday, January 03, 2011

Best BBQ of the year

Thought I'd try baking bread for lunch today instead of having the usual store-bought stuff of which we sometimes tire. Got the recipe books out, got my beater ready, pulled out the silicone loaf pan...all the makings of a good kitchen morning. But alas! The soda bread was heavy and nearly inedible (the birds appreciated it) and the coconut fare needs lots of coffee to wash it down...not my best baking day. The boys had been tasked with PROPERLY tidying their room in the morning, and when the floor was completely clean and vacuumed, we sorted their clothing - time to toss out the old and bring in the new stuff which they've grown into. I have a box of 'too big' stuff in their cupboard, into which I occasionally put things that I find on sales or get given. I'm a firm believer in 'buying it when it's cheap' and storing it for later use...I do the same with grocery shopping which is why I currently possess way too many tins of pineapple. But moving on...the Jericho Trust Christmas Day lunch committee members were invited to a BBQ this evening at Lindsay and Nyree's home, nestled on a lifestyle plot on the southern outskirts of Timaru. Although Nick and I didn't personally know several of the guests we still had a good evening and enjoyed the opportunity of getting better acquainted. There was a brief feedback session for the committee during which time I wandered outside and enjoyed the scenery while the sheep ...well, I don't think sheep are naturally suspicious but they sure didn't feel comfortable with this girl in their paddock! Every time I moved there they were, staring at me. If I thought sheep were violent creatures who secretly plotted malevolence I might have been unnerved. The children present were all boys and after playing boules for a while, took to making sandcastles in the playing area. We left around 9.40 pm as the sun was setting - and what a one it was!

1 comment:

Hazel Beckett said...

Wow! You really caught the colours at their best!