Thursday, January 27, 2011

What every boy needs

It took practically all morning to sort, tag and bag the boys' school stationery...but now it's done and they're all set for school on Monday. I introduced the boys to a 'close the square' game which we used to play when I was in school...simple concept but a bit of strategy needed. Aaron typically got bored but Caleb was deeply into it. After lunch I started a baking marathon of sorts - apart from the biscotti the tins have been sadly empty since the Wellies holiday. I made granola bars, biscotti, coconut ice (had to take a break then to pop out for eggs and flour), rosemary lemon cookies and espresso shortbread. Some cookies work well as rounds cut from a dough log and others simply do not; the shortbread falls into the latter category. Being a coffee colour they look like chunks of sliced fat sausage but I ran out of time and patience to press neat little shapes with cookie cutters. When Nick came back from the church office earlier in the day he sent the boys up the street to where a house was being vacated and some 'rubbish' given away - who can say no to a pile of free stuff sitting on a pavement? They came back with a 3-wheeled go-kart; Nick took them to the "Crow's Nest" which is one step away from the rubbish dump (in every sense) where they found two big wheels. A bit of this and a bit of that and a new all-boy toy has been made. Cool!

2 comments:

Buckland said...

I am again amazed at how much baking you get done in one day. Wow. And who eats all of that? It makes me wonder if you were all starving when you came to visit us as I did not offer you one biscuit / cookie (and had to remember to offer you a rusk on the second night).

Genevieve said...

That last photo of Aaron is for sure one of my favorites! I see his Mom and Dad's silliness coming out there.