Thursday, April 21, 2011

Nearly...not again

Yesterday afternoon the hospital phoned to say that there had been a cancellation again and they could take me for my nose procedure today - yippeeee!! Not that I'm excited about getting a new Michael Jackson nose, but I do really want to get it over with. The doctor operates in the afternoons on Thursdays so it was no inconvenience to get to the hospital at 12.30 today - I even got to go to work in the morning. Nick dropped me off and then started the long wait. I picked up reading the book I started last time. After an hour I was taken through to get my blood pressure recorded, my rings taped up and a hospital tag applied to my wrist. Then I was sent back to wait. About another hour later I was shuffled to another waiting room - the comfortable one with the big loungey chairs seating snoring patients having blood tranfusions and clicking machines dispensing saline and medicine into people - for more waiting. At 4.30 I was told "sorry, complications" - I had met patient #2 who was before me and hope that it was nothing too bad for him, but was utterly gutted that I was being sent home again with my nose intact. Caleb and Aaron had cycled to the Phillips' house in the morning and had a good old run around with Jayden and Dinnay until around 3 pm - it's so easy when friends live nearby and they can make their own transport arrangements. Nick had been hard at work on his Easter prep, so a busy day for them all. On the bright side of the no-nose, I could attend the Maundy Thursday service at our church in the evening. We were a small gathering but it was good to meet and listen to Nick's message on "Why did Jesus send the Holy Spirit?". I was somewhat distracted by Aaron who had developed a high temperature and severe lethargy - he snored his way through the proceedings and as soon as we got home I spooned Panado into him and he was more than happy to get into bed, missing out on apple crumble and ice-cream with Andreas and Danielle. Caleb stayed up with us, quietly listening to the conversation until about 9.30. Excellent to see the Bothas again - it's been much too long!

No comments: